Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Feel Like a Mom...

So every night Lia wakes up at some point. Be it 12:29am, or 4:37am, she always wakes up at least once to eat. I know her cry. Its an annoyed cry, as if she has been lying in her crib, waiting patiently to be fed, but finally decides that some vocal urgency is needed. I know that cry well, and whenever I hear it in the night, I get up slowly and fumble my way to her room to feed her.

Last night, as I was pleasantly slumbering, I heard a different cry than her normal one. And instantly, I knew that it was her panicked cry. I LEAPT from bed, throwing my pillows by accident at Chris and flew into her room. Once in there, I had to steady myself on her crib since in my haste I forgot that when you jump from a lying down position to a standing position, sometimes the blood doesn't return to your head as quickly as you would like. Lia was perfectly fine, she had manuevered her way out of her swaddle and kicked off her blankets, leaving her arms flailing. Lia already has made it very clear that she hates being naked or being put down without something on her stomach to give the illusion of a hand being placed on her. But as I wrapped her tightly and started to feed her I got a good feeling. I really felt like a mom. You would think that since she is 10 weeks old, that would have already happened, but last night (or early this morning rather) I really felt like a mom. :) I heard her cry, knew something was different and got in there in record time. :) I was always afraid that when I had a baby it would cry whenever I held it, that I wouldn't understand it and that the baby and I would just stare blankly at each other all day. My nerves returning to normal, I started to feed Lia, my eyes half closed as I tried to keep myself awake. I looked down, and as I did, Lia popped herself off, stared up at me for a moment with big wide eyes and then gave me a huge, bright big smile. Yup. I really felt like a mom. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are so cute, mamasita!

I gotta swing by and see you some time before we move...to hawaii! next spring. :)