Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lia's First Day of School

My heart hurts just a little bit. Mostly its glad, and proud. But it does hurt just a little bit.

Today, as we hopped out of the car and Lia jumped excitedly ahead a few steps of me I looked at her. At her sweet little braids. Her adorable excited face.

“Lia, hold my hand!” I said as we sauntered through the school towards the preschool. Lia threw me a look and dashed a few steps ahead calling behind her, “No momma! I’m going to big girl school today!”

And my heart hurt just a little more. Not because my feelings were hurt, but because she was just so grown up. To care. I’m sure in her little head she was wondering if all of the other kids held their mommy’s hands as they walked to school. I must have looked fairly contemplative because a few seconds later she skipped back and clung to my hand.

Lia took to preschool like a duck to water. No child there was more prepared or excited than her. She had her fingers in every pie. She talked to everyone. She made friends with the kids who were quiet, yelled with the kids who were loud, asked the parents to watch her, jumped, sang, danced, painted and read. She figured out who was the teacher and would call “Teacher! Teacher!” every five minutes to show her something. Davy and I stayed for an hour, mostly because we were just having too much fun to leave. When we finally left, I called her over and told her that Davy and I were going but we would be back in an hour. I turned to walk away when I heard her loud little voice, “MOMMA!” I turned back to look at her. “HUG ME!” she insisted as she wrapped her arms around my leg. I melted. She is such a wonderful, unique little spirit.

Davy and I killed time at the park for the next hour and when we went to pick her up they were all listening to story time. Lia’s back was turned to me so I tried to sit down quietly behind her with David. Davy was having none of that. He saw the back of her head, squeaked and ran up, threw his arms around her neck (her back was still facing us) and planted a big kiss on the top of her head. All of the other parents in the room did a collective ‘AWWWWWWWW!” I sorta did one too. Mentally of course. :)

I was so proud of Lia, she helped put away toys, and said thank you to the teachers and the other workers, and then collected her stuff and walked out. I asked her if she had gone potty during the day and she told me yes. I asked her if she had done it herself and she proudly said “Yes, but I told teacher first so she wouldn’t worry where I was.” I am just SO PROUD of Lia. So burstingly proud of her. She is such an incredible little girl, and she shone apart from all of those other little kids. She was the most polite, sweet, lovable, excited, fun, interested little girl there.

These are the pictures I took as we got ready to load up into the car to go to school.




Posted by Picasa