Tuesday, May 4, 2010

David The Kind

A quick story recounting the good nature of our son:

We were all at the petting zoo, having a good time amongst the goats, when a small boy about the same age as David slipped and fell in the dirt. He came up crying, hands and knees scraped, dirt in his eyes, etc. the boy's father quickly scooped him up and began to brush him off and comfort him.

The whole while, David stood transfixed by the scene. The goats were forgotten, and instead he was absorbing this bit of human drama. I noticed this too, so I sat and watched what David did next.

After about 2 minutes, the boy had stopped crying, and his father set him back down. David didn't hesitate, he strode with purpose up to the boy and his father, his eyes locked with that of the other boy. For a second, I was worried Davy was going to do something bad, like hit or bite or yell. I think the boy did as well, as did his father, since both of them stood wide-eyed as David approached.

David stopped short of the boy, their noses a few scant inches from each other. There was a long and uncomfortable pause that seemed like 20 or 30 seconds, but was certainly less, when the boy and the father just stood their waiting to see what David would do. The father shot me a look like, "You are watching your son, right?" Then in a split second, David made his move....

And kissed the little boy gently on the lips.

Both the boy and the father remained rigid as David continued by hugging the little boy and patting him on the shoulder. Once he was finished comforting the boy, David ran back to me and pulled me toward the goats.

The boy's father looked at me and didn't know quite what to say, "Oh! Uh... isn't that.... nice. thank you?"

I am sure David's gesture was lost on the boy, and seemed to simply make the Dad uncomfortable. But it was not lost on me or Amanda. We have a very caring boy.

No comments: